Thursday 19 September 2013

Rod Tip Tench on the Middle Lake -



On one occasion while fishing the middle lake at the height of Summer, the best swims alongside the island, were taken on both sides of the lake. I started fishing the middle section and after a couple of hours the shoals tended to move closer and closer to the island due to the pressure of loads of anglers in the area. My swim died on me and I decided to give a swim well to my left and under a line of trees, a go. The lake was just a little deeper there and they had built a small retaining wall along that section. You could sit behind the 3 ft wall and rest your rod on the top of it. The wall gave you a bit of cover and with trees behind, your form was not highlighted on the horizon. You did not have to cast out a long way as you did in the open swims of the middle and island swims, so the fishing was much easier and less affected by the wind. The lake was quite a bit narrower at this end and a cast of around 40 feet would get you to the middle.

After about an hour I had caught only a few silver fish for my efforts. I was just mixing some ground bait up and had pulled my tackle into the side. I was about half way through the job and I glanced down just to see my float slowly drifting along then sliding under the surface. I thought that it would be a little perch or something like that, so I was slow to decide whether to strike the bite or not. The decision was taken from me as all of a sudden the rod lurched out towards the lake. I managed to grab it just as it flew over the little retaining wall. My hands were covered in ground bait and I was in a right mess. The reel handle was spinning round and it caught my knuckles. It was really painful, but I had no time to consider that as whatever was on the other end rocketed out towards the middle of the lake.

How my little size twenty hook managed to stay attached was a miracle. As I was playing the fish I had to continually dip each hand into the water to get rid of the ground bait.  It turned out to be a plump tench of around 3lb. Although I thought that it was a fluky fish, I decided to bait the area at the end of my rod tip. With all the commotion going on, I thought that any self respecting fish would be long gone. 

Imagine my surprise when 15 minutes later the float slid away again. Although this fish shot off just like the first, I was in control this time and soon another nice tench was in the net. I had never hooked fish so close in and I found it difficult to stop myself pulling out the hook when I struck. I think it helped that my rod had a particularly soft tip and this cushioned the strike. I was totally amazed that the fish frequented an area so close in to the side. I decided to plumb the area carefully and I found a slightly deeper depth about 6ft out from the wall and just this side of it was a weed bed travelling about 12ft parallel with the wall.

Anglers must have fished there totally unaware of the feature and been fishing over and past it without realising it was there. The weed bed and the wall must have been a shield between the angler and the fish. The tench would probably be patrolling along the bank and mopping up the bait dumped at the side at the end of each fishing session. The angler would be unaware of the presence of the fish due to the weed bed.

I cannot take any accolade from the discovery as it was a total accident, but I fished on and caught another 9 tench. I fished the swim quite a few times that summer and it worked a treat, although I did pull out of a few fish now and again. It was great fishing, guaranteed to sharpen your reflexes and it gave me opportunities to sit on my hands and wait for the float to absolutely slide out of sight. 

During the larger matches it became the luck of the draw as to whether you could catch the 60 to 70lb required to win these popular matches. If the carp fed in the top lake, there were a few swims which would always top the weights.

 If not, the swims just to the left of the island could not be beaten by anyone in the small lake in front of Longleat House. All in all, well worth a pleasure session and even fishing the matches during the Summer months, providing you draw the middle or top lake. After about the end of September we stopped fishing the matches as they became very peggy, with the shallower two lakes unable to compete with the much deeper top lake.


 If you didn’t draw the top lake you knew you where only fishing for a section win as the match would invariably be won from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment