Tuesday 17 September 2013

River Nadder – Below Harnham Mill


Pubs in Wiltshire
Welcome to the Frontpage




The stretch below the Mill to the end of the cricket field belonged to Salisbury and District Angling Club. The little stretch was only about 100 yards in length at that time. Years later they would negotiate the fishing rights to more than a mile of the river down through to Britford, but for now we were restricted to this short length. In the winter, when the weed beds had died down and there was a bit more depth to the water, large shoals of dace would make their way up river from Britford.

They would be harassed by many pike who would tend to hunt in packs and herd the dace upstream to the last bit of slightly deeper water before the shallower straight bit alongside the island just below the Mill. There is a double bend about 80 yards downstream of the Mill and just past the little island. It bends first to the right and then to the left. Where it begins to turn to the left the rush of the water off the bend has scoured into the bank causing a deeper hole and this is the area that the dace shoals are herded into by the pike.

One particular day in January I was fortunate to witness the herding of the dace by quite a few pike. It was to become a memorable session for me. It became the easiest fishing I have ever had. Where I was sat the current pushed over to me from the far bank. I began loose feeding at the very end of my 12ft rod. The float would trot along only about 10ft to my right and would bury itself every time. In fact the dace were taking my bait only a foot past the end of my rod after about an hour. There must have been hundreds of dace down there. I only fished for just over 2 hours and I put 48lb of dace into my keep net. During the session I also landed 2 pike over the 10lb mark. They grabbed the dace as I was trying to land them.

The whole situation started to get out of hand as I ran the gauntlet with the pike every time I hooked a dace and had to get my fish out as quickly as possible. Then after about 2 hours the pike started to attack my keep net. I became very worried that my net would tear and all my fish would escape, so, reluctantly, I decided to finish my short session.

A club committee member witnessed what had happened and helped me to weigh my catch. I sent the particulars of my catch to the Anglers Mail, witnessed by this other club member and later I won a fishing rod in their weekly competition for my exploits.

The swim was taken every weekend until the end of the season after that. I don’t know how other anglers faired in the swim or indeed if the phenomena took place at other times. I suppose somebody, somewhere knows. I often wonder how the swim fishes these days, almost 40 years later, but I am scared of what I might find if I return to the stretch. Will it be a shadow of its former?  When I think of it, I would like to remember it as it was, a wonderful experience. I have always been disappointed when returning to my old fishing grounds around Salisbury since the rivers demise. I couldn't bear to see how they have been decimated so I will leave it.

There was a slightly funny happening regarding the fishing rod that I won. When it arrived through the post, I unpacked it and decided to go out into my garden to assemble it. It was a very windy day and as I went out of my back door the wind caught it and the door crushed the end of the second section. I was mortified. I hadn't even had the chance to fish with it and it was destroyed. There was a happy ending though. The Anglers Mail agreed to send me another rod, which they did. They told me that I needn't send it back and that they would claim on their insurance to cover the cost.


I took the rod to a mate of mine at work and he used a form of resin to repair the damaged rod. A mate of mine bought it from me for £20, so I was well pleased with the outcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment