Monday 16 September 2013

Midnight on the 15th / 16th June at Petersfinger



Petersfinger Midnight Visit

One year I decided to fish the lakes at Petersfinger on the opening day of the new season. On each of the three evenings leading up to the “off”, I pre-baited a couple of swims in the top lake and just in case they were taken by other anglers, I baited another two in the bottom lake as alternatives. On the actual evening of the 15th I could not get off work until about six.

As I had to race off to the lakes to get one of my chosen swims I didn’t have time to have my evening meal. My mother told me not to worry because she would bring me down some fish and chips later in the evening. I told her that I would probably be on the first lake she would come to as she entered the fishery.

She told me to expect her around eleven as she was working that evening. On arrival myself I was dismayed to see my chosen swims were already taken up by other anglers. In fact every swim was taken on the lake and there was no room for me.

I made the long walk with my tackle down to the lower lake which ran alongside the River Avon. Luckily I managed to get the further away swim out of the two I had pre-baited. The nearer one was taken by another angler. I had chosen to pre-bait the two swims as the nearer one was around eight feet deep and the further one was about four feet in depth.

My thinking was that if the deeper swim didn’t fish, the shallower one might produce the goods for me and vice versa. As it was I had to be satisfied with the shallower swim. I made my way round to my swim which jutted out into the lake slightly. This made for easy fishing because I did not have to cast out very far and I could see my float easier.

By the time I had set up it was almost dark.  As other anglers had been set up for ages, I had to try and dissuade them from coming up and standing in my swim to talk with me. The reason for this was that I had a shallow depth and too much commotion might frighten off the fish in my swim.

Over the last few days I had boiled up two large buckets the latest magic bait of stewed wheat seeds. These had been introduced into the four swims for the last three evenings. I intended to use maggot or caster as hook bait and to loose feed grains of stewed wheat on a regular basis. I had no idea what fish I might catch, but expected roach, tench or bream if I was lucky.

The float that I intended to use was a longish waggler, fixed bottom end only. This would allow me to sink the line below the surface, so the wind wouldn’t blow my float and ultimately my bait unnaturally along the bottom. The float had a little red neon light fitted into the top of it so I could see it in the darkness. I used a small torch to pick out the little red light. When the light disappeared I knew it would be a bite and that was when I would strike into a fish, hopefully.

As the time got closer towards midnight I was feeling very hungry and I began to wonder if my mum had forgotten about my fish and chips. All of a sudden I heard a bit of a commotion going on in the top lake.

One by one I could hear anglers calling out “shush” and “be quiet will you”. After a while the commotion seemed to be getting nearer and nearer to me. It was pitch black now.

 Then I heard my mum’s voice shouting “Gordon, Gordon, is that you”? “  I have your fish and chips, where the hell are you”?  I ran over to her and realised she expected me to be on the other lake. She had visited every angler on the other lake and finally, half an hour later had found me.

She was not too pleased I can tell you. I walked back with her up to the car park and wolfed the fish and chips down with abandon because I was so hungry. I suppose many of the other anglers had smelled the fish and chips. Because they would have liked to have had them themselves I think that if they had seen me right then they would have probably lynched me on the spot.

 The next day was very embarrassing for me as I took more than a little stick from a lot of them about mummy looking after her little boy.
 


I must get back to the actual fishing. This started when the club official shouted “All in”. About eighty anglers made their first cast of the new season. I was full of optimism due to my pre-baiting sessions and fully anticipated a string of fish hooking themselves on my baits. Wishful thinking on my part I think. What actually happened for the first six hours was in fact nothing. I did not have one bite in the darkness hours. I just couldn’t figure out why. The only thing that might have caused it was that the fish were in the deeper water over to my right. The night had been quite cold so that was a possibility.

As soon as the sun came up over the horizon it was as if someone had thrown the fish feeding switch on. I reckon that the shallower swim that I was in had warmed up first and that encouraged them to start feeding. My swim became a cauldron of pin prick bubbles hitting the surface. Soon I was hooking one fish after another. Some really nice roach found my caster bait irresistible. Most were over the pound.

Every now and again my float would slide away as the tench got in on the act and I finished up at lunchtime with eight or nine around the three pound mark with one hitting four pounds.

Two nice chub around the two pound mark found their way into my keep net. I was snapped up about three times during the session. These were probably carp, which went off like rockets in the shallow water depth. I was not very proud of losing those fish because I hate to hurt any fish by leaving a hook in their mouths.

I just had to hope that the carp were able to transfer the hooks in snags on the lake. This is something they seemed to be expert at doing when you hooked them normally. By about three in the afternoon I had about seventy pound of fish in my keep nets. I was over the moon and decided to call it a day then.

The next day I fished the deeper swim and again I had roach and tench. The hook bait I used for this session was maggot. It worked a bit better than caster. It could have been that maggots could be seen more easier in the deeper water and made a bit more movement. I fished from nine in the morning until four in the afternoon and caught about fifty pounds of fish.

I did try fishing with stewed wheat in both of the swims but the fish did not want to know about it. This was very strange, because I had heavily pre-baited with it. I have no answer to this. That’s fishing for you. I was unable to get to fish either of my swims for about two months after that as a syndicate of five anglers were in them on every weekend.

Choosing the right Bivvy


They congregated around that corner and no swims were available over each Saturday and Sunday. This became a feature around the fishery on the first two months of each new season. I hated it that the club only half heartedly chastised these anglers and they took no real action to stop them saving swims for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment